Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Growing limitations

As I thoroughly enjoy being with my daughter and her family here in Dallas, I learn more each day how ALS creeps up on me and steals bits and pieces of my functionality. My right hand and arm are going the way of my left more quickly than I had anticipated, leading me to believe that ALS develops a stronghold within my body and accelerates as time passes. I can't say I've read anything definitive related to any systematic consistency in other sufferers; I can only tell you my own experience.  


If I sit still and put no demands upon my body, if I don't attempt to read a book, a newspaper, to sip a coffee, to rise from my seat, I feel pretty good. If I walk to the front door and down a few steps, all bets are off on whether I stumble, trip, even fall down. I'm near the point where I need help to regain my feet if I hit the ground. While I can walk, with assistance, the act is exhausting; a wheelchair nearby is a necessity. When I get home I am going to relieve my entire family by giving up driving. It's not that I can't drive, it's my lack of mobility once I arrive at my destination. If Amy is along for the ride, I can manage the wheel; I just won't drive alone.  


When I get home Friday I start on my Edgar Cayce Adventure. I can't wait. 


I will be slightly more home bound as I dial in on these experimental processes so I won't have much opportunity to party. If you want to visit, call first to avoid finding me in a compromising position. Ya just never know what weird activities may occur within the Boettcher household as we escape from the box into the world of alternative remedies.

3 comments:

  1. hrhrhrhhrrrrhhr... You may need to be more specific (or less) about weird activities at our household. We don't want to give the wrong impression...RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Amy. I tried to block any images from forming in my mind. I will say that a pretzel with a bow came to mind before I could stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking more hot chocolate and whipped cream?

    ReplyDelete