Total Pageviews

Friday, November 25, 2011

The Day After

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Only remnants remain of the 24 friends and relatives who chowed out here at my home yesterday, washing down turkey with beer, Sangria and conversation. We'd hosted the holiday for many years and I wasn't going to let a little disease keep us from continuing the tradition. In the past, I cooked the bird and generally ran the kitchen, but this year Rachel took over, in part because I can't manhandle a Cornish game hen let alone a 27lb gobbler. She has officially earned my chef's jacket.

On the other side of things, I must reveal that a subtle change has come about that is both undeniable and reasonably expected. I have been outed. I have, until recently, been theoretically inflicted with ALS to those who don't see me on a daily basis. Now, my condition is factual and evident. There can be no denying that something is wrong with me. My symptoms are now on display whenever I move. A power wheel chair in my living room speaks a thousand words. Interesting is the fact that all of this isn't really my problem. I don't have to see myself teetering and quaking and struggling- everybody else does. Those around me need to digest my digression without emotionally gagging, without grimacing, while guessing what is an overreaction or an under reaction, whether to move forward to try and help me or back up and pray I don't face plant. In a nutshell, I feel bad for everyone who comes in contact with me. 

The concern I've had all along is magnifying. I rarely feel sorry for myself, though I do see the pathetic Tracy in the mirror from time to time, but always feel sorrow for friends and family. I tear up at the thought of others' discomfort whether they're around me or not. I feel bad for those who feel bad. My imagination, no doubt, feeds my emotions, carrying me through scenarios only I could create, bringing me down enough to dip my toes in depression. My defense mechanisms include all the smarm, sarcasm and triviality I can muster. I often load it on through these pages in order to sidestep the real emotion and its debilitating effects. I wish I really believed all the crap I throw out to minimize my condition, but at the end of the day I'm still sad for those who are sad for me. I can help myself but I can't help them. I can control my emotions even if I hate them. I can't fool others into believing that this is all a charade any more. I've lost my clothes and exposed the reality and I can't shelter my friends and family from my frailties. I can't protect them from me any longer. I can't relieve their sadness with a clever quip or a joke while Amy feeds me dinner. I can't minimize their despair. While the stress and worry loaded upon my back is a burden I can bear, the thought of those I care about being affected by my disease carries a toll much heavier. 
If I'm going to get through this thing, I'd better learn to deal with these issues lying outside of myself. This is my job of the day. Please help me by not being sad. Help my by looking at your own lives and worrying less about mine. I'll be just fine.

3 comments:

  1. Tracy, We are sad.....That's a given. The people that know and love you....would give you an arm or a leg to fix you if we could. I'd share your glutamate if it would help. None of those things are possible. However......Being uncomfortable in your presence.....NOT A CHANCE!!! Dude, I would sooo feed you food, after I ate mine of course. I'd even do the airplane thing with the fork. haha Tracy, it is what it is and I think we are all trying to wrap our minds around the situation. Yes, we are all sad, mad, heartbroken, in denial, barganing, still not wanting to accept, and generally pissed off at what you have been dealt. If we didn't go through or feel any of those things then we really wouldn't be your friends or family. We would be......Nursing staff and physicians. OK, probably not funny, but I think you get my drift. You have to allow the people you love to go through this journey the way they have to just the same way that they have to allow you to slide in sideways, maybe not kicking, but screaming and fighting the whole way. If you don't do that you never move forward. Annndddd......I have just stepped down off my soapbox for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet- Love your soap box! I think you make a fabulous point. I repeat to Tracy over and over again. This isn't HIS disease. It is OURS. We have ALS. He is not alone. We have to learn to deal with it together and all the emotional struggles as well as physical take a toll on all of us. We are as self conscious of our short comings as you.
    I am so proud of you. By facing your fears so publicly and honestly you take the burden of this damn disease for all of us and make it easier. You are always thinking of others before yourself. Let's change that and see what happens.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well: I do wish I could just say ok and not be sad for you. I can only try to understand your ability to stare this shit in the face and not show fear. in my mind you epitomize what fighting is about.call anytime you need to talk-24/7!!

    ReplyDelete