Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Writing while listening to loud music

Stones, Beatles and Santana in my ears, drowning out any distractions with its own distraction. Right now, Black Magic Woman. Loud. Headset melting. I like it.

I am tuning in and tuning out. Now- Come Together- this is what I need to do. I need to quit focusing on my problems and cue in on my strengths. I am, really, sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am fed up with the doors of my abilities being shut. Eventually, if I don't open my mind, they will all close and I will have no where to go. Satisfaction- Stones- grew up on this song, first tune I dropped coin in a juke for was this- 1966, 1967. Berryland- Wonder Lake. I need to get back to what makes me happy. ESCAPE WITH A SMILE. A musical door to paradise. Oh, Darling- Beatles Abbey Road- my fave. If I could sing only one song in my life, this would be the one. What happened to music like this? 

I'm zoning out. Right now I don't give a shit about ALS, about diagnoses, about diets, about cures, about future, past. I am at this juncture living in the moment- Satana- Inner Secrets album- Open Invitation. I first played this on my Philips 333 turntable, powered by a Technics receiver that Nick still uses and blown through Bolivar 64 speakers- 3 way with crossovers- later bought out by JBL- loud enough to break glass. Real, uncompressed sound. If you never had records you cannot appreciate the difference. My ipod, my G5, my ipad produce great sound but not THAT great. Newer is not always better. Just heard Something- Beatles- flip side of the 45rpm featuring Come Together on side one. I had it. OK, 45s aren't hifi, I'll give you that.

Stones- Sympathy For The Devil- get out! Louder still. ALS? What's that? Gone for the moment. I tell you, this is the shit. Why didn't I think of this before? I LOVE THIS SONG- Time Is On My Side (yes it is). YES IT IS! I think music is my peyote. I can smoke it up.

Now another Inner Secrets cut with insane percussion. Nameless? Timeless.

Yes, more Stones- You Can't Always Get What You Want- boy oh boy this is truth- but the next line says you get what you need, and I need this. No drum circles for me, no soothing melodies, thank you very much, give me real music. My music therapy gets me going. My blood pumps and my heart soars.

The first song of this collection was Beast of Burden. Not much to say except I refuse to be burdened.

Now that the music is gone, the quiet is a drag. I have discovered, though, that I now have a place to go where my ALS is pathetic, where my heart overtakes my brain and gives me what I need to open myself to all the possibilities of life rather than the improbabilities of science.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn,now you know MY secret!!! music,where do I start??? I,like you,only truly enjoy it LOUD! not so loud that the bass sounds like someone losing giant farts,but enough that I feel it.I have music EVERYWHERE I go.I have a stereo (Mostly cheap stuff) in four locations in my house ,of course in my garage. As far as quality,NOTHING beats good vinyl,you get most of the tracks unlike chopped cd's. I started out with a unit from Team Electronics with some Altec two way's with GREAT sound.man do I miss that set of speakers??? anyhow this is a good thing for you to find a 'zone' in your music.if you need Jazz call me I have over 100 albums!

    ReplyDelete