Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Now I get it

Simply having to deal with ALS is, well, simple- relatively speaking- unless and until you add various complications and ailments brought upon yourself due to a progressive change in lifestyle and habit. Just as a radical change in diet can cause toxicity within the body, ALS hamstrings physical activity, weakens "flat"musculature within the abdomen allowing distention, stifles voluntary movement, destroys balance centers and replaces movement with immobility. All of this, and more, set the clock upon a shorter timeline for the de-evolution of the human condition. ALS itself can kill. Respiratory distress due to weakening of the diaphragm often requires the installation of a vent. I see more danger in the complications of ALS than of the disease itself, such as (of course) heart attack, diabetes, blood clots and (outside my realm of personal experience) stroke, pneumonia, infection, etc.


Until last week, I thought myself impervious to any malady other than ALS. Now I find myself loading up on medicine to stave off issues that have no true relationship to the underlying problem. Well, maybe there is a causal relationship, but I see it as Mussolini firing at my backside while I'm trying to focus on Hitler. What comes to mind and concerns me is the "house of cards" effect. As has been illustrated time and again with those whose health is in decline, a single ailment can be dealt with well enough, but increasing system failure complicates matters and hampers treatment of any individual ill and the patient dies. I have no interest in complicating my condition, however coming off of a heart attack, discovering diabetes and learning I'll be on blood thinners the rest of my life allows for a whole new array of artificially created pharmaceutical concoctions to gum up the plans for a homeopathic solution to my real problem. I have discovered that my medical community is adept at lobbying all efforts to treat the immediate malfunctions (provided there is treatment) and for this I am very grateful, but my underlying monster lies, not in the least dormant, beneath and around any distraction ready to pounce upon me as I am weakened. This time, I stayed alert. This time, with chemicals, I survived to fight another day. This time, the house of cards took a hit and stayed up. Next time........ well, there cannot be a next time.

2 comments:

  1. I say we use glue and duct tape to keep that house of cards together. Duct tape can fix anything. And I agree...I vote for no next time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I agree with Rachel. Standard equipment in my grandma's car was a roll of duct tape, a wire coat hanger, and a high-heeled shoe. She said that could fix anything. The high-heeled shoe was to "fix" the unruly children in the back seat. I kid you not, she could boomarang that shoe into the back seat, smack you senseless around your head and have that shoe back in her hand and driving down the road before you knew what hit you. She always gave us the preliminary warning first though. She would say,"Don't make me take my shoe off!" Then we would all laugh. Yea.....It's all fun and games until grandma takes her shoe off. Surprisingly enough, tennis shoes don't feel any better. haha I hope you all have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete