Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Here's lookin at you

For those of you who aren't sure, let me better define how I compose and share my posts. Rachel no longer takes dictation from me because I can no longer speak clearly enough to be understood. With great effort I can get out a word or two, sometimes three. I don't have control of my hands or arms so I can't pluck at a keyboard. Everything you read, posts, emails and Facebook is written with my eyes. Imagine a keyboard, similar to that of an ipad keyboard, below which is an eye tracker device that reads my eyes and traces their movement. On the screen, exactly where I focus, is red circle. When I look at, say, the letter 'w', the key lights up yellow with the half inch red dot in the center. If I dwell on the key for.600 of a second, the letter appears in a text box above the virtual keyboard. Letter by letter I create my post, email or Facebook message. For blog posts I must copy and paste from the Tobii program to Blogger. Once posted, I email Rachel, who spell checks and shares the new document. She is my conduit to the world. When I want to surf the net, I use a virtual mouse control bar located to the right of my browser (Firefox). I dwell on a mouse function and direct my gaze on the area I want to highlight, the area magnifies and the action takes place. This is just a small portion of what I can do ---without ever touching anything and without any outside help (except Rachel).

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I'm impressed. I remember when you were hesitant to use the eye gaze, and now I would have never have known that Rachel or Amy didn't type this up. Clearly you have conquered the eye-gaze learning curve.

    ReplyDelete