Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Time to get technical

Throughout the last month or so I've posted a variety of moanings, mush and bewilderments (to me, anyway), and it has occurred to me I have failed to spell out the chemistry of ALS, at least as well as the scientists can define and as little as I can decipher with a high school chemistry education. Keep in mind that grasping the few straws collected by experts only fuels the fire that is ignorance of the cause, and in knowing, for example, that uncontrolled glutamate production essentially drowns upper motor neurons provides no intelligence for such. Simply put, if you observe a bleeding cut, and determine, yes, the cut is bleeding, your observation tells you nothing but result. What caused the cut is still a mystery. Case in point: I have ALS, we know what it's doing to me, we don't know how it got started and we can't stop it. Nutshell analysis.
If you don't care for this stuff, I welcome you to read another post or hang up for now. Even I find this to be a little too clinical to want to write, and I don't really grasp a lot of it, but I need to screw down my thinking cap and peel off what I do understand so as to better read my enemy. Here goes:
The following is gleaned from a paper I found entitled: Glutamate Transporters and the Excitotoxic Path to Motor Neuron Degeneration in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) credit- Emily Foran, Davide Trotti

From the abstract:
Responsible for the majority of exitatory activity in the central nervous system (CNS), glutamate interacts with a range of specific receptor and transporter systems to establish a functional synapse. Excessive stimulation of glutamate receptors causes excitotoxicity, a phenomenon implicated in both acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., ischemia, Huntington's disease, and ALS).
From me:
I read, simply, as I am simple, that glutamate acts as a conductor of signal flow regulating information transference, in my case, as related to motor neuron synaptic timing involving voluntary action (my muscles). An overabundance of glutamate effectively destroys the functionality of the motor neuron and ruins any connection or signal to the muscle.

I have, in front of me, 21 pages of documentation that likely requires a PhD to really understand, and I am not even a P. If anyone would like to tackle this paper, which requires me to Google every third word, then try to find it here: http:/www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842587 I will continue to apply my pea brain in order to learn more on the subject.
I am very sorry for my lack of continuation on this technical description of ALS. My feeling is that knowing what the smart guys know about ALS is to discover how little they know. Ya know? I need answers to questions and nobody has them. All this information leads me to understand how little is solved year to year involving ALS. I am certain very few studies are being conducted involving herbal remedies, yin, yang, nutritional variations, mind/body, hypnosis, meridian balance or anything else outside the box since it's unlikely any grant money is available for such studies. Shame. Meanwhile, I will continue to absorb all I can comprehend- as little as that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment