Total Pageviews

Friday, August 26, 2011

I could be wrong, but........................

Every so often I marvel at my father in law's wisdom. I would be better served to take seriously the gems he occasionally tosses my way. Actually, he throws them scatter shot and the smart people clamor for all they can get. Following is an example of his generosity:
Beer is the perfect food.

I kid you not. This statement holds more relevance for me than for others. Strange as it seems, many evidences prove the statement to be true. Before you teetotalers (tea?) get on your tall ponies, sip your caffeine laden hot drinks and consider this: Beer is a homeopathic remedy. Let me repeat this. Beer is a homeopathic remedy. Unless you are on a gluten free diet, (I hear there are gluten free beers, but they must be awful), a decent beer has it's share of barley, wheat, hops (don't really know what a hop is, but it must be a good thing if it's found in beer) and a variety of other natural ingredients. Beer is also made with good water. Lot's of times from a mountain stream.
I doubt beer guys run years of lab tests on their products. Why would they limit their product testing to a handful of volunteer guinea pigs when the entire human race is available to form an opinion? If the beer tastes good, guys will buy it. If not, the brew ends up following the path of that god awful skunky Pabst flotsam called "Red, White and Blue".
Now it must be said that too much of a good thing is bad, so drink responsibly. Anything in excess is, well, excessive.
I can hear you disbelievers getting on about how beer consumption is harmful because it can cause distention, or "beer belly". While this phenomenon occurs often, I consider it a minor side effect, and so you know it, I already have a beer belly, not from too much beer, but because ALS weakens my gut muscles and allows for more sag. That revealed, I don't give credence to such an argument against a beer.
One last thing- Drink REAL beer. Drinking a lite beer or a 55cal beer or any kind of boutique flavored beer with low sodium or low fat or low anything is like consuming children's chewable aspirin for a headache. You're just not going to get the job done.

4 comments:

  1. Buddy, you had me at "Beer". haha Another interesting phenomenon is that while your belly distends, your elbows never become compromised. You would think that if you drank enough beer to cause a beer belly then you should have tennis elbow as well....or should I say beer elbow. All the more reason to use a straw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father-in-law is one smart guy. Think I will close the kitchen and hang out in The Beer Shed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a wise wise man. He also said-Dont' get in a pissing contest with a skunk... LIke I said...wise man.

    ReplyDelete