Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A bad week in the hospital

This post finds me in the hospital, battling some kind of unidentifiable infection, bacterial not viral, causing a plethora of problems, not the least of which is severe anxiety. Antidepressants work in an opposite manner within my system so I was given Morphine and Flexoril to bring me down. Drugged up, all I want to do is sleep, and if you've ever spent time admitted, you know that sleep deprivation  is the primary tactic used to get you to leave. I do appreciate all the attention, but in my present condition I have little patience and no tolerance. It has become evident these last few days, supported by a swallowing evaluation that has recommended pureed food from now on, that a feeding tube is now a necessity rather than an option. Just another episode in the life of an ALSer.

3 comments:

  1. Because I am always on the side of caution I prefer to be prepared instead of waiting to deal with an issue but although I agree the tube is the best idea I have to say I am less than thrilled about needing it "just in case".
    As far as the pureed diet goes- he was given an evaluation while under extreme stress, compounded by being hoisted in and out of his chair by strangers and still "under the influence" of many drugs. Because of this Tracy was afraid to swallow anything. Magically when KFC chicken and mashed potatoes showed up he was able to eat his first meal since arriving along with sneaking Cheetos extra crunchy style snack. So....As long as he's not supposed to eat it he does fine is the message I get. So I foresee years of burgers and onion rings in his future tube or no tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how that works. I don't blame you for not being able to "choke down" the chow in the hospital. All the food tastes like the plastic wrap it come with. NASTY!!

    ReplyDelete