Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Feeling better

I have never been much of a proponent of drug use for better living. I've been around too many people, relatives included, who, having built their drug cache up to or beyond twenty pills a day, found out, through a new doctor, rare in the profession, that their quality of life would improve by eliminating most of the symptom  directed confusion provided by a drug traffic jam and let the body utilize the natural tools of healing for which it was designed. Short version, I know, too late- don't take so many pills.

I take drugs. If I had any choice, I would take nothing. I must say my intention is that all of my drug use is temporary. I had a heart attack due to multiple blood clots in my lungs, so I take a blood thinner in order to prevent more clots from forming. Some have informed me that I will be on thinner for the rest of my life- it is easy to accept this- while others consider it only necessary until the clots I have are completely disposed of by my body, a process that takes several months. After that I'm on my own- as it should be. Besides, I can go only so long using an electric razor. I also take a drug for my diabetes. My blood sugar is high, but not exorbitantly so, requiring me to pill up each day. Soon I will find a proper diet, monitor my sugar and drop the pills.

More important than the drugs I take are the drugs I don't take. I am well aware that as symptoms may develop, certain drugs can play a part in making me more physically comfortable. I have no aversion to anything that can improve my quality of life. I provide a case in fact in the next paragraph. Here, now, in this paragraph I explore those drugs that I have found it better for me to avoid. First are the sleep aids: I have tried three variations, none were effective and all harangued me with the opposite of their design. I have continued to experiment solely because pain in my left shoulder would wake me periodically each night, primarily because it was, and is, difficult to change positions. I have no problem going to sleep- thanks to two hypnosis sessions with Amy back in July- and I thought a sleep aid would help keep me asleep all night. None did. Another product, the name escaping  me, was an anti-depressant. The mere fact that some people can actually become suicidal while taking anti-depressants sets off an alarm in my head. I might imagine that my apprehensions tainted the drug's effectiveness on me, lowering it to the level of, in my book, a placebo. If I think somethings going to help me, it may. If I wrap my mind around the apprehension that it may be bad for me or have a reverse effect or to become an issue involving dependency, it is likely the drug won't work. And it don't work. My aches and pains can be reduced where my mind cannot. It is apparent that the psychological aspects of my ALS must be dealt with drug free. I do acknowledge that for most, drugs can help serve as a buffer for mental stress. I say, if it works, lucky you. Go for it.

Now back to what DOES work:

I've had shoulder pain for years. 30 years ago my left shoulder hurt enough to visit a doctor, who diagnosed me with biceptual tendinitis. He shot me up with 10cc of Cortisone, skewering me in North Dallas  Forty fashion from the front of my shoulder. The NDF reference is used here due to the injection method in the movie whereby a needle is inserted and wallowed around to inflict the most pain prior to transportation of the steroid. In my case, thirty years ago, a nurse held by arms down during the procedure. Extremely unpleasant but also extremely successful. That shot lasted some 25 years. As I've mentioned before, my left shoulder has been giving me fits lately. I am sure the weakness in my arm has exasperated my injury and added significantly to my pain. While I knew I had inflammation in my shoulder and 30 years ago it was diagnosed and relieved, part of me didn't know if a shot was warranted, would work or would be administered at all. A visit to an orthopedic doc on Monday answered all my questions and alleviated all my concerns. Not only was my biceptual tendinitis diagnosis of 30 years ago confirmed; I got an injection-8cc-, about a teaspoon full, she shot it in from the back of my shoulder and the pain was minor. Added to this was her statement that it would lessen the pain within 6 to 8 hours and last 6 to 8 years. The first part of her statement has proven to be true. The duration remains to be seen. If I feel pain returning, I can be shot up 4 times a year. All in all, an improvement in condition and an improvement in attitude for me.

I am not against drugs. I am against narcotic experimentation. I am against nine doctors prescribing nine drugs for nine problems without conferring with each other. I'm against discussing my condition with professionals only to find that when it comes to ALS, I am educating them, finding myself  the smartest guy in the room.

All said, I feel better today than I did yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. Have you considered Melatonin as a sleep aid? I'm no expert, but since you can find it in the health food store, I'm thinking it can't be as bad as prescribed or over-the-counter junk.

    http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/natural-sleep-remedies

    This was the first hit I found. Please don't take offense at the "women" part of the URL, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None taken, Jerry- with Tracy as a first name I am impervious to gender bias. Thanks, I will be checking this out.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better today, and I'm happy that you've been able to find relief for your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tracy. Hopefully that will keep you asleep and hopefully a more restful sleep. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I know what you mean about the polypharmacy. I can't believe how many people I have taken in that have reactions to the meds they are on, brought on by too many doctors prescribing too many meds without fully knowing what else the people are on. Half of the time the patients themselves don't even know what they are taking and why. It's scary. I also agree with your earlier post from Jerry. Melatonin has proven to be quite effective for some people for a sleep aid. Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it won't react with other meds though. You might want to talk to your pharmacist first. In addition to Melatonin, St. John's Wart is great for anxiety. I actually took it for a brief period of time. It worked a little too well for me. After about a week, I really didn't even care if I got dressed or brushed my teeth before I went to work. haha Yea, a little too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom had a stroke about 8 years ago and has some of the same issues you do with your left arm/hand. She gets botox injections and they really, really help, not only the stiff, curling fingers, but also with the painful muscle spasms in her arm and shoulder. They last about 4 months. Her doctor is great and seems to know exactly where to place the botox--crucial with muscle control.

    ReplyDelete