Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Up early

I fear the ALS is not content to devour my arms and legs. I'm disappointed that I offer up the tastiest parts of my body only to find out the disease is unsated  and wants  more of me  even before finishing the meal I've dished up. It seems my limbs are mere h'orderves and my body proper remains the main course. I have trouble sleeping on my back unless my upper torso is inclined. My  diaphragm  may be weakening as ALS moves to my core. Swallowing fails to completely clear my throat. While I can still swallow thin liquid such as water or juice, the action is not natural or fluid. If I'm not careful I choke as product slips into my windpipe. I'm not sure what abdominal muscles hold me upright but I'm experiencing enough sag that it's obvious they're doing a poor job. Soon I may be joining the school of Stephen Hawking Slouching. I'm sure to be the dumbest one in class. My speech is in decline. I'm beginning to slur my words and stutter. While my voice is becoming less and less decipherable my brain continues to run along at its peak 60 %. If I look dumb, feel free to confirm your assessment when words tumble out of my mouth truncated, mangled and garbled, wholly massacred.  I can now say my speech patterns match my intelligence. I've been told to maintain a stiff upper lip but then  even the lip readers would fail to understand me.

1 comment: