Total Pageviews

Friday, February 10, 2012

Looking forward, wearing blinders

I'm constantly reminded that in three weeks I will begin life in Dallas, that all the complications, the anxiety and the stress inherent with the process of moving will be behind me, that life will simplify and become beautiful. I have no doubt. I honestly feel that this course of events can accurately describe how life will be better for Amy. Most of the planning and execution of our move is her responsibility. Despite all my narrative concerning my leaving so many behind I am well aware that she leaves more friends, virtually all of her family and a diversity of connections far beyond my scope. I know it is more difficult for her to leave Peoria than she will ever admit; she does it for me. She is strong where I am weak. 


I am a difficult case. I only deal well with the diversity I feel I can handle. ALS poses a problem for me that stretches the boundaries of my confidence. Each day I assess my condition and each day I hope to discover even the most minute positive. While it is unhealthy for me to consider my future, looking back, even a month, I find myself living in the past, despairing the present and wary about next week, next month, next year. No matter how I cut it, the future is all I have. While my life has been full and wonderful until recently, I'm not yet to the point when I'd be content to retire my thoughts to those days. I still want to look forward to the future. I'm really glad ALS doesn't take your eyes.


Oh, yeah, Why will Dallas be good for Amy? For starters, she won't have to cradle my sorry ass up and down these blasted stairs any more, we will be close to our grand sons, close to Sarah, Tim, Rachel, Nick will perform down there, the winters will less likely challenge my traction and we will be beginning a new chapter in our lives.


















1 comment:

  1. a new life! look for someone down there in martial arts even just to talk to. I wish you both the best,at least it WILL be warmer!

    ReplyDelete