Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is all the fuss?

Me, I have to live with the cards I've been dealt. My only chance at a positive resolution is to bluff my way past ALS. I've written many a post identifying my concepts regarding mental and physical activity designed to help thwart the progress of my disease. To date, I have no idea as to whether I've had any success at all. Back in the spring a cold blooded fish of a neurologist in Chicago told me I wouldn't be walking by Christmas. My plan was to set up an appointment in December, stroll into her office and (figuratively, of course) kick her in the ass. Well, while I can slowly rise from my chair and slowly, awkwardly, with trepidation, hobble a handful of steps, the only way I could (not figuratively) kick her ass would be if she were to lay on the floor, face down, while I laid beside her, on my back, Amy lifting my right leg, positioning it over her backside, letting it loose, burying my heel in her rump. Somehow, I can't see this scenario playing out with the effect I had desired. As a consequence to the feared play by play, I never made an appointment. Her loss is that she will never know what it is like to share an office floor with a stud like me. I suspect on her best day she drops the bomb on a patient and on her worst day she does the same. I win my battle with her by simply failing to add diversity to her life. Small victories- they all add up. In this case, my victory was obtained through inaction, the best kind these days as action is so difficult.

I am all about experimenting. My only concerns include my disinterest in throwing up, my abhorrence of acute pain and my fear of incontinence. I receive almost daily e-mails from the St. Louis chapter of the  ALS Association. Nowadays, I simply open them, skim the content and discard them. Not one communication offers a single suggestion for remedy. Fundraising positively trumps treatment and imagination. I understand the need to raise money, the need to raise awareness, but, to me, a handful of researchers scouring the world for alternative treatments might be more productive than a car wash designed to raise a few thousand dollars to fund research on the effects of certain chemicals on rats  infected with ALS. We've been running the same game since Lou Gehrig.

Think about this------ consider the last 100 years. We have gone from the Wright brothers to interplanetary travel. We have gone from Einstein to quantum mechanics. We have gone from Henry Ford to, well, Ford. We have gone from Alexander Graham Bell to Verizon. We have gone from a mechanical adding machine to the ipad. Technology, physics, engineering, aeronautics, transportation, communications and the like have transformed the planet while Western medicine, which views alternative and holistic measures to be archaic, has failed to advance at a rate comparable to other technologies. While the focus and design of Western medicine, for the last century, has been chemically based symptom treatment, the rest of the medical community, a larger family, has the resources of centuries of approach to healthy living, natural remedy solutions and philosophies and wealths of alternatives not considered by its counterpart. I'm not saying that either concept for health holds the key to unlocking the mystery of ALS, more so the Western medical researchers are looking under the pharmaceutical tree while the rest of the world is searching the entire forest. Meanwhile, I drink my herbs and continue to keep my feet in front of me, digging into the soil while clawing for anything that may increase my drag.

1 comment:

  1. My mother was diagnosed with ALS in May 2014. Her doctor put her on riluzole, letting her know there was no cure but the medication might provide her a few more months of delayed symptoms. ALS progresses at different rates and affects different body parts first. My mother, being 80 at the time, fell into a category of what they call "fast progression" (older female). Her arms weakened first, then her hands, her mouth, and throat, and finally her lungs. Throughout her two-and-a-half-year ordeal, she was able to walk with assistance. All the while she continued to take the riluzole. If it bought my mother any time, we will never know. Her neurologist told us that if she couldn't afford it, there was no real need to take it. She lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took her off the riluzole (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started her on the ALS natural herbal formula we ordered from GREEN HOUSE HERBAL CLINIC, We spoke to few people who used the treatment here in Canada and they all gave a positive response, her symptoms totally declined over a 7 weeks use of the Green House ALS disease natural herbal formula. She is now almost 83 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed! (Visit their website www . Greenhouseherbalclinic . com) I am thankful to nature, herbs are truly gift from God. Share with friends!!

    ReplyDelete