Total Pageviews

Monday, December 19, 2011

Maybe a clarification.....

maybe vast confusion, maybe neither.

Every morning I unfold like a pair of rusty pliers, my muscles and tendons feeling like death clenches. When I finally summon enough strength to swing to a sitting position, usually with a friendly push from Amy, I rock back an forth to find my center of gravity lined up vertically over my knees and I push straight up. Once standing, I stretch again, careful not to strain too much and blow out a calf or thigh, my right leg performing a perfect thumper impression. I step cautiously toward the dresser, gain purchase, step to my left and grab my robe from a hook on the inside of the open closet door. As I slip my  left arm into the sleeve, my body reminds me  why I got up in the first place. A mad dash to the bathroom looks more like a blind man being chased by dogs. Once relieved, my day really begins, such as it is, such as they are.

Yesterday I wrote about fear and I touched on death, on dying. I probably elicited a cringe or two when I  broached the subject of afterlife using terms like judgment and halos and pitchforks. My intent was unintended. I have no interest in questioning anyone's faith, belief or religion. I have my own faith, and while it would seem unconventional to many, I'm of the belief that all faiths are unconventional. I prefer to strip faith down to it's essence, discarding any rules of engagement, all distracting proclamations and directives. Whatever I believe is my property. I'm not looking to sell it to anybody. I feel that everyone on earth is seeking the understanding of what is truth, each on a different path, all  paths leading to the same end. No matter your faith, the real conclusion and discovery will be the identical. To quote, I think, Yogi Berra: "Wherever you go, there you are!", or, if you prefer, Jim Morrison: "Slip on through to the other side".


2 comments:

  1. "Where ever you go,there you are," also a Clint Black song. On your last post you mentioned not caring what happens after you die. You might want to re read that section that you wrote and reflect on it a little. Remember, all of us when we die will be gone from this world a hell of a lot longer then we were here. And all of us will be there, wherever that is, in the blink of an eye, so to speak. I remember my dad when he was my kids age and it seems like just yesterday. Another point to ponder. There is just one truth as to what the afterlife is. Everybody seems to want to have it the way they want it to be. That's not how it works. It is what it is. (I should have capitalized that last sentence.) What ever you wind up believing you do have to accept by faith. But you need it to be a faith in what you really believe it is and not what you really want it to be. If my meanderings don't seem to make sense (something that I have been accused of before) please let me know and I will try and coalesce this cacophony of words into something more logical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree,IT IS WHAT IT IS! or as an old Indian Chief said,every day is a good day to live and every day is a good day to die.

    ReplyDelete