Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Little sleep, too anxious

Soon the sun will be up and I'll have been awake for an hour or so. Family from Dallas arrives noonish and I can't wait. This Christmas is special. I'm excited and fruit dog (this term was coined by me some 20 years ago and means melancholy). A reveal: this may be our last Christmas in Peoria. 
I missed my calling this year. I should have kept the beard and bleached it white. Since picking up ALS, I have picked  up weight. All in my belly. I was told I'd lose weight. I was told to eat a lot. Add fat to my diet. Put mayo on everything. Leave it to the medical profession to get it wrong on nutrition. Never did they ask what I did for a living. Had they posed the question, they would have found out I burned more calories in an hour than the average middle aged man burned in a day. Once I quit working, as I followed their directions, my pant size had only one way to go- up. Now that the gut is staring me in the face, it's tough to get rid of it when I cannot exercise as I should. One consolation- It doesn't matter much that I can't see my shoes, I'm unable to tie them anyway. It's all good- I have a lot of big shirts. If you see me, feel free to call me a slacker. I'll recognize the sarcasm.

If you read my last post, you can see I don't give a darn about diet. Truthfully, most days  I do. Christmas time calls for exception. I'll set the Jazzy at a higher speed to burn more calories.

This week we received a month's supply of special herbs from China. We found a handful of clinics in China that have had some success in treating ALS patients- or maybe not. Rather than jump a plane to experience TCM, we bought herbs used in their treatment plan. If I show any measurable improvement that can be attributed to the tea, I plan to start learning Mandarin. I started the tea yesterday. Worst tasting crap ever ingested. Smells like chicken soup. Tastes like chicken shit, only worse. I guess Kids will be here in 4 hours. Can't wait. Whoa! I need a shower! Amy? whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.


4 comments:

  1. I followed the worst 2 pieces of advice from the ALS clinic -- 1) eat whatever I want 2}don't bother to pay credit card bills -- worst advice I ever followed. I now have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and I can't drop the weight -- 4 extra medications. And my finances got so messed up it took a few years to get them back on track and stop the threatening letters and phone calls from bothering me all day and evening. Before ALS i worked out 5 days a week, and all weekend I walked and rode my bike. Now I can't do anything. Be thankful you can still take a shower. It's been about 3 years since I can no longer can get into my kitchen or bathroom. Sponge baths suck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still showering with Amy? High Five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. argh! My comment printed twice, so I deleted one of them & now it shows I deleted a comment. Pretend the 2nd one was too witty for print. Make up something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete