Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A life of Riley

This is my first attempt to post following an update to my tobii communcator software. I may be finding it a little easier to eye type. Maybe not. Possibly. No. Yes. I can't tell. At least its not worse. I think. I think.
     My last post touched upon a demented philosophy unfairly thrust into the blogosphere, and for that I apologize. Concepts of faith and confidence, especially when referencing life and death, should be contained rather than exploited. I hold no license to exempt myself from such restriction no matter my condition. I only ask that others remit their condolences for setting forth their surety, equal to mine, that they have the precise answers to questions unanswerable. I can accept opinion, validity, however, requires confirmation.
     Skip that last part. I am not a gloom and doom kind of guy. Really. I just have days when life is a struggle. No kidding. Over the years I found myself continually active. As a kid, I was rarely home, often finding trouble, always embracing it. There wasn't a tree I couldn't climb or a culvert I wouldn't spelunk. I played Pop Warner Football in fourth grade and kissed my third girlfriend in fifth. I hunted rattlesnakes with a friend and played spin the bottle on my twelfth birthday. Later on in life I would drive fast and act crazy every chance I had. I sent my '65 Mustang airborne many a time over a now gone flat bridge over the Kickapoo Creek on what used to be the connection between Rte 8 and Taylor Rd. I jumped naked off the strip mine cliffs where Wildlife Prairie Park is today...... Oh yeah, back in the summer between seventh and eighth grade I learned how to sail a main/jib Sunfish and learned how to water ski, once doing it naked at night. That summer I also got drunk and spent the night on a little island in the lake and froze my ass off.
       Nuts and informative were my formative years. They developed my uninhibited desire to do a lot of shit. I've done a lot of shit, some dumb shit to be sure, but not always......
       Throughout my adult life I found myself at odds with sedintation.
      I coached one season of JFL when Nick was four, Rachel was six and Sarah was eight. That fall, Nick began Taekwondo and I followed. We both became entrenched and have been so ever since. Rachel joined in and excelled, reaching second degree black belt. Sarah opted out but pointed out she was inherently tough and proved it by kicking ass in a tournament against a green belt.
      Eventually, I began to teach, continuing for fifteen years, quitting when I was diagnosed March 15, 2011. I am now a retired sixth degree black belt. Nick is a fourth degree black belt and has begun teaching Taekwondo in Austin.
     So...... Building houses during the day and teaching Taekwondo at night wasn't enough. For six years I coached basketball at Fr. Sweeney, where my kids attended. I later joined the River City Blues Society and was elected Entertainment Director two consecutive years. I loved the commotion and infighting!
      Along the line I've done other stuff...... Now I have it all to remember, all and more. I hate being in this chair, largely immobile, mostly silent, but I LOVE what I have to recall of my life. I daresay most people have regrets. I have none.
      I will leave this world (mentally, figuratively) kicking and screaming because I seriously doubt that my future can hold a candle to what I have now.

2 comments:

  1. You will leave this world kicking and screaming because you will be able to use your voice and flail your arms and legs. I will teach you to dream bigger so no matter what bliss you are lucky enough to live today will pale in the path of our future journeys together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And because of your martial arts prowess, it warms my heart to this day to know that I was able to take you unaware and nail your a** in the chest while on our canoe trip. I win!!! haha As far as your last post.....I didn't find it offensive at all. As adults we should be able to express our fears and thoughts maturely and open it up for discussion without fear of recrimination. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. Just because someone doesn't view life/afterlife the way another person does doesn't make it wrong. We don't all experience life the same so how could we all have the same opinion?

    ReplyDelete