Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

A continuation, with updates

Let's pick up as I left off, where, if you recall, I described that my mornings are the worst time of day. True still, though as my right hand dive bombs toward uselessness I terrorize myself as lessening mobility precludes me from any usable or comforting manipulations at night. Last night was predictably and progressively pathetically sleep bare. I took a nap in my chair at 9am. I wish I could simply suffer through this and all other calamity alone; such is impossible. Amy is my constant companion; she feels what I feel, her hope is necessary to counter my woe. If not for her, I would be dead already. I have tremendous support from family and friends, but Amy is the one who now keeps me from overt, clinical depression. ALS doesn't kill, it merely eats functionality like a flesh eating virus, though saving me from infection that could abbreviate my suffering.

I am not one to easily accept limitations. A transformation from overachiever to non-achiever is simply unpalatable. I have no interest in surviving by way of machine. If  I cannot live without being plugged in then I  will not live. My own version and expectation of quality of life surely differs from sufferers     and caregivers alike. I know myself. If I'm to die, I'd rather travel via  jet aircraft than a slow boat. 

When I move my tongue around my mouth, a sluggishness occurs and foreign sensation prevails, surely a precursor to other malfunctions to come, some already manifesting as slow speech, swallowing difficulties and sensory anomaly. Chewing is more difficult; I lose food inside my left cheek, at the gum line, impossible to retrieve. Larger bites are unmanageable, food stops at the back of my throat when I attempt to swallow. Every swallow of liquid has an equal chance of entering my lungs if I'm not careful. A test last week  revealed  my lung function to be at 81 percent.

Months ago, I perceived myself as an arms and legs guy relating to my ALS. Today I realize that the disease must have been dealt a good hand, evidenced now as it appears it is "All In".

2 comments:

  1. I read only one paragraph. I share with you the expectation that no machine keeps me alive. sorry for those of you out there that are family and friends,but with certain people we should all find a way to respect our choices also.respecting our choice doesn't mean agreeing,but it DOES mean not criticizing or trying to rationalize how we feel. as your friend,I truly do understand how you feel and only hope everyone else is supportive of the life and death decisions that you need to make. I love you man!

    ReplyDelete