Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 14, 2012

I remember all

I found an arrowhead on the trail over a  hill to the Boy Scout Reservation, where early in my Diamond Bar residency I yanked a rattlesnake out of the brush, unawares. It was at this reservation  I learned that no matter how many times I tried, I could not shoot an arrow straight up in the air.


Did I tell you that Mike Thatcher had lost an eye to a Red Rider- or Daisy, or Crossman or Sherman? Help me, Mcfadin, isn't that what you had?- his iris was a spilt jigsaw puzzle.


A construction worker fell behind an off road dump truck and was buried under gravel. We heard that his  head popped. 


If a fire raged even 50 miles away, we had to hose down our roof because sparks could carry  over the hills. 


While two sides of our back yard were fenced in wood, the third was concrete block topped with broken glass set in mortar. Tough for the meter reader.


Kelly and I organized a water drinking contest which I won. Peed 300 times that day.


I dressed up as a woman at Halloween, all too convincingly. 


Waiting for a bus to take kids like me to Suzanne Junior High School and teenagers to Walnut High, I encountered an older kid as he bunny-hopped our sack lunches, placed as markers on the sidewalk. My lunch was transformed into boloney puree. I yelled at him, he stood close and glared challengingly down at me, I hit him in the face with a right hook and a left cross. He lifted a knee, which lifted me, temporarily, before  I crumpled in a heap, reminded instantly of the Italian kid and the football a few years earlier. Some agony is so easy to identify. Somehow a bike and a parked car comes to mind. 


The bus came but I was already half home.

2 comments:

  1. It is a Sheridan pellet rifle. I still have mine and it still shoots after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad you didn't know any martial arts back then. He would have thought twice in the future. haha

    ReplyDelete