Total Pageviews

Friday, June 8, 2012

California Dreamin'

Long ago, over 40 years back, before I had even heard of ALS and prior to all of the recent developments regarding  treatment of the disease, exciting researchers and doctors yet providing no effective treatment, certainly no cure, not even a cause, I spent 6th grade and half of seventh accumulating the best youthful memories of my life.


Southern California: Diamond Bar, then a budding community, now, I think, a city. 
Castle Rock Grade school. My teacher? Mr. Sirota. My close friends? Kelly Bolen, who lived across the street and had a pool, Mike Thatcher, who raced 250cc class motorcycles with a 125cc American Eagle and built solid fuel rockets, including a 3 stage Saturn 5, Mark Boguski, a young scientist who found a horse skeleton  in the foothills that we assembled in Sirota's classroom and who joined me as the best flag football rushers in the history of Castle Rock, Sammy Baugh, who rode a 125cc Penton and taught me how to snag rattlesnakes with a stick, a loop and a burlap sack.


Our escapades were legendary. I'll share them  a sip at a time, to savor.

2 comments: