Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The "eyes" have it

Yesterday I had two appointments.  The first was at 10am, with an orthopedic doctor specializing in shoulder and hand issues. He shot cortisone into my right shoulder to reduce  pain that has been developing for some months. While the shot I got in February had great effect on my left, this one shows minimal improvement.


At 1:15pm I had an appointment to see three eye controlled computer venders and a speech therapist. The first guy was very knowledgeable and explained in detail the workings of his device. To him, his product was superior because he worked for an engineering firm that represented the cutting edge of technology. The downside for me, to begin with, was that his device, a tablet, was manufactured by another party, an eye camera was attached to the  bottom and the engineering company's name was affixed to the unit. I know an engineering firm could gather parts and build a camera, but I'd still rather own a Nikon.


The second vender represented a company called Tobii. An all-in-one device was presented. Better graphics, easier eye control- I did try the eye gaze on the first unit- user friendly and impressive. Later I discovered  that Tobii is a Swedish company, just like my Permobil M300 power chair- I should have known. Sweden Rocks!


The third vender had only pictures of the eye function attachment and an antiquated operating system.


The speech therapist was very familiar with speech issues in ALS patients and offered valuable information pertaining to voice   quality and speech management- slow down and enunciate. Having been a "low talker" all my life, I'd heard this before. The difference is, now I'm listening.


We are ordering the Tobii. A month or two before we get it. I may get a loaner much sooner.


What does this mean? It means that I will be able to continue this blog more efficiently, for longer. It means that I will be able to write more, more often and more bizarre yet insightful posts. Don't hold your breath for the insight.

I will have my new friend, Tobii, mounted to my power chair, enabling me to post from the back yard, the lake, the grocery store, JC Penney, at a hockey game.....................................

Imagine what I come up with as the breeze blows through my hair, the ducks quack and the mockingbirds mock! There will be no guessing the absurdities I'll concoct.

1 comment: