Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ending a long weekend, ready for some R&R, however strides must be taken to catch up

I'm still functionally retired, though the weaning process will take a while. In writing this sequence of ALS related events, I've told you before and I reiterate: Chronology is not my strong suit. Truth be told, if I were to put to print all that happens to me AS it happens, the emotional turmoil of my mind would unfold on the screen like a Jackson Pollack painting, and I'd likely scare off the majority of my readership. The concept of "tell it as it happens" is no one's friend. Getting something off one's chest best be saved for the therapist. Better to step back, take a breath and assess my emotions before I write of my personal Armageddon.
Look forward to some positives. All is not strictly gloom and doom. My situation could be a lot worse. I've learned that the world I'm connected to contains a multitude of friends and a contingent of family who've come to me in droves. People I care about, but likely short changed over the years. My reciprocal talents leave much to be desired. I have now opened my eyes to the surprising realization that I've impacted many people in ways I never knew. I am humbled by them all. I am sad that I took lightly some of these friendships and that it took ALS, and all the faithful, caring, loving, great people out there to bring things to my (meager) attention. I seriously appreciate, and will continue to appreciate the amazing efforts of my friends and family. I want all to know that I am stronger and more resolved today than I was yesterday. Quality of life certainly trumps quantity. I believe this and I live it.
OK, let it be known that only rarely will I get mushy like this. When I do, my writing devolves into cutesy passages and overused cliches. I'm more into the grit. I'm more into the complexities of the mind, the experiences of my situation. The general understanding is that ALS works on your muscles through motor neuron degeneration due to a loss of control in the production of glutamate, and that the brain is not corrupted (are they kidding?). I'm telling you it's all connected. Mind. Brain. Function (error) More on the physics of ALS soon to come. Break out your chemistry books to refresh.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. It's all connected. Now we just have to get inside that little pea brain and figure out how to turn off that ALS dial. Now where did I put that glutamate wrench....

    ReplyDelete