Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

Of food and quality of life

Of food and quality of life. Of soup and seasoning. I love to cook. Presently, I cannot even direct the process. I also love to eat. Presently, it is so difficult to chew and dangerous to swallow that I no longer enjoy the process as much. Easter approaches and all I can do is roll around, straight-jacketed by my affliction, generally hamstrung, hogtied, certainly gagged, tolerated, placated, encouraged; who am I but a collection of bones bent upon solving a multifaceted dilemma without the aid of understanding a single thing. I remain clueless after two years, frustrated and scared, dependent in all aspects. All my blustering, evident in my writing, has proven nothing more than that I can turn a better horror story than I can tolerate, than I can survive. I long for a Korean dinner where I can pick up my own chopsticks, grab up some kim chi, chew with confidence, swallow easily and enjoy immensely. I long for Amy to be able to concentrate on her own meal. I long for independence. I try mightily to comprehend the application of energy, any energy, to my particular disease. How do I know this energy is not juicing my ALS? Is the influx of such energy a short-lived phenomenon? Melting. That's me. I am the wicked witch of the west. The primary difference being that she took a bucket of water to the face while I am seated in a stockpot, set to simmer for months, years as my body slumps and my head lolls and all the toughness is extracted day by day. Lately, when I fail to distract myself, I fall into a combination of panic and discomfort, frosted with anxiety, alleviated only through narcotic and cannabis. Don't ever drink beer through a straw. Don't ever cut sushi in half, thus creating a  mess we will call sushi stew. No high fives without help. No hug reciprocation. I'm sure, even now, that Master Zhou helped me while I visited him in California. Whether that help held a key to unlock the door to ALS understanding is a question left unanswered. I feel I'm approaching an intersection of sorts, maybe near, maybe far, where I (will) may choose my home stretch. I'm not going to project my decision now. I will say that one route leads to health love and happiness, my preferred destination, while the other track supports the train to a prolonged, protracted descension to death, a journey I will most certainly truncate by exiting the juggernaut. I conclude by saying that while I have any core strength left, I will continue to fight, even if I don't have a clue as to how, but if I'm living in a Hoyer lift and shitting the bed, I'll be insistent upon a way off the train. I hope I can get help with my exit. 

1 comment:

  1. If Zhou did not help you then it's even better because that means YOU did it all yourself. Lest you forget I have on cyber film you talking and moving limbs you claim are lifeless. Those you can not move still feel and can receive love and hugs. Maybe you've done so much giving in your life you are being forced to sit back and receive for a short while until things balance out. You are stronger than you know.

    ReplyDelete