Total Pageviews

Friday, August 30, 2013

Amy

Once, when Amy and I were dating, I pulled an epic boner by suggesting we see other people. In my mind I imagined......... Well, I don't really remember what, other than a breeze, went through my head that day. Needless to say, my experiment, obviously double blind, (me blind to my own stupidity and she blindsided), proved disastrous.
      A back story should crystallize my ignorance. Amy and I started dating the summer between sophomore and junior year, our first official date being a trip to George's Pizza in East Peoria followed by a run out toward Pekin to catch "The Exorcist" at the Starlite Drive In. A perfect evening's events with which to impress a good Catholic girl. I know what you're thinking and I sympathize. I was king of the idiots back then and have yet to be unseated, cementing myself to the throne as I toy with my ALS.
      Anyway, a week later, marveling at the fact that she didn't dump me, I told her I loved her. She didn't vomit, but some may have risen to her mouth only to retreat down her throat, though I doubt it because she kissed me and I didn't taste anything bile-like. I was relieved.
      I told her I loved her every day after that, each time hoping for a reciprocal proclamation. I couldn't bear it when she simply told me, over and over again, "that's so nice". Months went by and my dismay mounted. Finally, in November, in the Pizza Inn parking lot on Sterling, I badgered her, I considered ultimatums, I cried and I got my way. She didn't deny me any longer. She told me she loved me. She also let me know that this was a 'forever' thing. Forever and ever.
      As I battle ALS, forever seems now. She wasn't kidding. I forgive her for taking so long to come to a conclusion that was forgone from the beginning. I knew right away.
       So, to get back to that infamous day the following spring, that brainless experiment where I nearly erased my love, my family, my life. Amy conducted the requisite torture, deservedly so, upon me, which I took like a boy, whimpering and apologizing in desperate anguish and fear until she felt my punishment had been satisfactorily meted out, whereby she holstered her figurative whip and ended my torment.
      She is strong where I falter. If there is a heaven, it was made for her.

3 comments:

  1. Re-read "my love, my family, my life". That is where heaven and eternal life is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lump in my throat right now. That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these kind of stories. Tell us about what you remember from when you were in elementary school, or how you learned to drive, or the most ridiculous outfit you ever wore... etc. :)

    ReplyDelete