Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 17, 2012

no more coffin, off to turkey

I am far away from the not-so-covert psychedelia that permeated my blog posts of the past. Let me make an effort to shorten the gap. My crystal ball is dull and cloudy, offering no more than gauze covered projections, muddied with the flotsam of an uncertain future.  

In less than a week we will be celebrating our Thanksgiving, bringing to mind previous turkey dinners in Peoria. Those were the best of times. I miss family in Peoria.  I miss cooking for them not only on holidays but every Wednesday night when we celebrated living at the Boettcher feast. 

I wish for everyone reading this to have an exceptional holiday season. When I look at a calendar I see it differently now. I have to ask myself what condition I will be in for future events. I ask myself how many birthdays I might celebrate.

I love food. I love preparing it, experimenting with it, chewing it, swallowing it and savoring the multitudes of flavors and textures. Unfortunately, I am having trouble chewing properly, finding food in my mouth that I cannot direct down my throat. I would guess that at some point, I will need a feeding tube drilled into my gut and stopped with a cork. Feeding me will be a snap. Enjoying the food will be a memory. Maybe the food can be chucked in my mouth and semi-regurgitated, pureed, and poured in my belly. As far as I know ALS does not take away my sense of smell or taste. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. 

Interesting tidbits from a functional quadriplegic: use more deodorant. A large part of keeping odors away from your armpits is motion. If your arms are basically limp at your sides, there is no ventilation with which to disperse any odiferousness. The worst part is that I cannot raise my arms for a smell inspection, instead catching a foulness that squeezed out and wafted toward my nose. In case you are wondering, this applies to all nether regions of my body. Don't get me wrong, I get good showers thanks to Amy.  

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Wish I could be there running the kitchen. Bye.


1 comment:

  1. To all the Boettcher family......Dan and I wish you all the finest holiday season ever. Lots of laughing, hugging, teasing, squeezing, and eating. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete