Total Pageviews

Monday, April 9, 2012

In passing.......................

I fell in love with Amy the day I met her. After we started "dating" I determined that a license had been issued to give me right and privilege to lay eyes upon her every single day for the rest of our lives. A lesser woman would have succumbed to the notion that I was overwhelming, cloying, even suffocating, but she was more than the typical 16 year old girl. She was, and certainly is, even today, especially today, more tolerant, more patient, more caring than anyone I have ever known. I must have had an inkling in 1974 based on the fact she didn't run for the hills screaming "Leave me alone!" Later on in life I learned that she had a rather large bubble, or comfort zone, one that I obliterated before school started our Junior year.

Late in summer, I found myself, Amy, maybe Mary, certainly others- a car load at least- gathered at Gene's Dairy Dream, unfortunately gone from this earth these days, a hang out and former workplace for me- then 14 and happy for a buck an hour-, when my girlfriend previous, Cindy, unaware of my neglectful indiscretion and new squeeze, pulled up on her bike. I immediately did the right thing and swallowed  my tongue so as not to be able to talk to her, learning though, that I'd simply choked on a milkshake, my tongue remaining functional. I did the next best thing and went to her to explain to her why I was a dick. She actually laughed, which confused me more than anything, told me it was cool- now my relief is laced with grief at the thought that I was so inconsequential- and said hi to Amy as if they were long friends. Outwardly, I took it in stride but inside I tripped and fell on my face. An altogether awkward afternoon.

So, free of all encumbrances, I pursued Amy with my very best stalking techniques and she parried my assault just enough to continue to like me.

By our third or fourth date I blurted out those three words- you know- and eared up for her response.................. Day after day I went after it- wash, rinse and repeat. Day after day after day I blurted, I whispered, I shouted, I pleaded my delivery, longing for verification. I must have heard "that's nice" a hundred times, "you're so sweet" a thousand and suffered her smile a million. Six months later, in the parking lot of Pizza Inn, I lost it. I NEEDED TO HEAR IT! She warned me.... something about no turning back, about forever, about how I would be stuck with her........... Kid me! I had been the agent of forever. I had stalked relentlessly. I had always wanted what I knew I wanted. GIVE IT TO ME! She did. She said it. She meant it. I'm telling you, that first six months was an eternity. Since then? A blink of an eye.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly believe in love at first sight. When I met Dan it was like that. I met him in a large country western nightclub. We chatted all night and when I went to work the next day I told everybody that I had just met my future husband. Everybody laughed. That was 26 years ago and I still feel the same way. Frankly Tracy, I think Amy was grooming you for those 6 months to see if she could turn a lump of coal into a diamond. haha Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two and other couples like you are the luckiest. The rest of us can only hope for a fraction of your extraordinary love for one another. What I adore most about your tale is that you don't for a moment take what you and Amy have for granted, even from the get-go .......such a hopeless romantic you are:) You two are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was smitten with my wife Laurie. from the first moment at Lum's and still now 36 years later.

    ReplyDelete