Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Friends afar

This week marks three years since Rachel and I made our epic trek to New Zealand. I still appreciate the hospitality of Raed and his cool family. They represent all that is great about the country. I also want to put a shout out to a Swedish couple we met at an island cookout. I can't recall their names, but remember talking about their next destination, Australia, where the wife would be incorporating her work into the holiday before they headed home. We also talked about the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. Something about the scope and tenor of our conversation has led me to believe we would have grown to be great friends had the circumstances been suitable. They likely saw me stumbling around and gathered that I was messed up (yes, even back then). We told them about my condition. I hated doing that. It always felt like an excuse rather than an explanation in those days and I have always hated the awkwardness of the aftermath. They took it with style and grace. I gave them my blog title, thinking of it as just a minor gesture. As it turns out, I believe they follow it to this day. So does Raed. I salute these friends who would be friends in any world circumstance. Salut.

No comments:

Post a Comment