Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Still mobile

I may only be able to move my right arm a few inches but it doesn't stop me from putting miles on my Permobil chair. Even if Amy has to guide my hand to the joystick (not what you think), I can propel at speeds up to 6.4 mph. If I had it to do over again I would have paid the extra money for the extra speed. 

I asked the Permobil dealer the highest mileage he had observed on a chair, and he said around 300 miles.  In a few months I have accumulated 152 miles without breaking a sweat. I can only assume that people die shortly after acquiring their chair. Either that or they don't get out much. 

I might mention that last Thursday Amy and I circumnavigated White Rock Lake, stopping for lunch, liver sausage and cheesies with Gatorade, before completing the trip. Amy had difficulty keeping up with me on her bike. I wore a short sleeved shirt and sweats.  She wore two shirts, heavy pants and a coat.  

A few things to mention involving my current condition: It sucks, I'm trapped, it could be a helluva lot worse. 

Life here in Dallas, despite ALS, despite missing friends and family, is great. I can't say enough about how well it has worked out living with Sarah and Tim, Alex and Isaac.  I might add it is tolerable to have Rachel and Amy lingering around too. Of course I'm kidding.  Unfortunately for her, Rachel will be leaving the household soon. She has found an awesome apartment and will be moving after Christmas. Amy, however, can't find anywhere to live, so she's stuck with me. 

A very important note: Sarah, my eldest daughter, is pregnant.  It gives me another reason to hang around. I've discovered that life revolves around events that make everything worthwhile no matter my condition. If she has a boy, she and Tim will be remaking "My Three Sons." If she has a girl, the networks refuse to give her a series.  Nevertheless, we'd like a girl. 

Sarah having a baby is a classic example of out with the old in with the new. If she birthed a dad, I'd be history.  

If I could get back any particular function, I would ask that I could scratch my own nose. My second choice would be to gain the ability to hug back.

Finally, let me wish everyone a great Christmas. I won't see extended family this year, the first time in at least three decades, but they need to know my heart and love still resides with them.   

3 comments:

  1. Tracy......That's wonderful news that you two are going to be grandparents again! What wonderful Holiday news! I hope your family has a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I forgot to ask, how is Nick doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't miss you,I 'see' you every day in my mind! As a note, Master Todd was back after his hip surgery. Master Kim admonished me to slow down since I am getting older,I laughed so hard I almost cried. I can't.

    ReplyDelete