Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Home Depot street cred

I could go on and on about those who have helped me - and I should and will - but today I'm going to focus on some selfless innovators at my new go-to destination : Home Depot.

Amy has had an ongoing problem with my cup holder. I can no longer suck from an eighteen inch straw. She has tried several options, none of which have worked, to get the cup close enough to my face for me to use a normal straw. Upon a visit to Home Depot with the idea that she would not leave until she could come up with a viable solution, she told an employee (I'd give names if I didn't have to rely on this pesky eyegaze technology) who simply said "We can do that". They did it. I find it as creativity laced with kindness punctuated by empathy. They even produced a birthday cake and sang to me.

Hopefully Rachel can provide a picture of my new articulating cup holder. It is both clever and functional. I thank the guys at Home Depot for making our lives easier.

Now to get used to drinking Stella Artois with a straw!

*Amy's version of events:
You all know how I LOVE a hardware store. Now I REALLY Love these guys at Home Depot! For Tracy's birthday I was going to create a movable cup holder to make it easier for him to drink. Cue Mission Impossible music-I sneak out of the house with some silly excuse of needing avocados or some nonsense. I race to Home Depot with an idea-ish of what I need but can't find on the internet. I walk in the front door and instantly Kerry asks if I need help. I can't find a short way to ask for parts for a project to create something that doesn't actually exist yet. Within seconds he smiles and says we can do that. I'm confused. (I know, I know- usual state). He calls Randy Jackson over to discuss possibilities. With confidence and a smile they say- we've got this. I am still a bit lost as to why they aren't dragging me around the store selling me buckets of bolts and tools. They say- when do you need this? I say- Tracy's birthday about a week. They say- okay. Send us pictures of the wheelchair. I say- you mean YOU are going to make this for us? They say yep. Glad to do it. I am thrilled! I wonder if it will cost both my arms or an arm and a leg or? At this point I am just thrilled it will get done! The big day comes (Tracy's birthday) and I take him to Home Depot with some silly excuse of having to get light bulbs (no I'm not good at lying). Not only did they have a great design for a movable, removable cup holder WITH water bottle for Tracy FOR FREE, they had a birthday cake for him and had the employees gather together in the break room to sing to him!!! What a wonderful surprise! They said they just want to be able to help the community. What a gift they are. Yes, I will be going to Home Depot for all our projects big and small. 





3 comments:

  1. How wonderful! If I ever get inspired to tackle any diy projects I'll definitely look up Home Depot. So nice to hear a story of kindness in the midst of so much distressing news about man's inhumanity to man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    Unique Christmas decorations from Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outlet Store malls are here to provide you all kinds of home depot stores locations. Youcan easily get the opening hours, exact location and discount using the coupons. List of all 6 Home Depot Factory outlet stores locations in the US, Canada and Mexico.

    ReplyDelete