Total Pageviews

Monday, December 29, 2014

Cruise two

Every morning we had room service, including a custom smoothie made specifically for me. Our Filipino room attendant was great. He first misunderstood our request for a commode chair and brought us one of those things that you place on the toilet seat to raise it up to ADA compliant height. It slid around and would have proved disastrous had I tried to sit on it. We explained that it was not what we needed, detailing as best we could the concept of a commode chair, to which he responded excitedly "with the hole in the bottom! ".

We found what we needed upon returning to our room later that day. It even had wheels!

Okay. So it was high enough that when I sat on it my feet dangled. The back of my legs compressed under the weight and hurt like hell. The seat was a full foot over the maw of the toilet. I had to prop my feet on my wheelchair to ease the pain. As an added bonus, the commode chair and the toilet did not line up. This proved more of a problem for Amy than for myself. Consequently, we used the chair for its designed purpose only once.

At home we have a commode chair in our shower. It has no wheels and is the perfect height for its customized job. It is now a shower chair. We don't need it for our toilet, which is ADA compliant and has a bidet seat.

We used the wheeled contraption in the shower on the boat. Since my wheelchair can't get wet, we substituted it for an upside down garbage can with a towel draped over to pad my heels. If you ask why we didn't use the fold down shower seat you must be forgetting the important difference between the two appliances. I take my hygiene VERY seriously. So does Amy.

I promise to get out of the bathroom with my next post.

1 comment: