Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

I don't need to look back a year to recall where I was. ICU at Methodist Hospital recovering from a heart attack brought on by several blood clots originating in my left leg and settling in both lungs. This year I avoided any calamity. Instead, I enjoyed my Netflix Christmas gift by watching Day of the Dolphin (1971?) and the Day of the Jackal (1973). The last few days I have watched classics such as The Deep (William Peter Blatty), and the obscure Sometimes a Great Notion (Ken Kesey).  

Christmas was great, mainly because all of my family was there and the grand-kids were insanely amusing. I always prided myself on choosing a great Christmas tree, but this year's 9 footer is the best of all. Sarah has taken the torch. 

As for me and my health, things are progressing little by little. My speech is mush. I have more trouble breathing than before. I have to be careful not to aspirate whenever I drink anything. My right hand, the one that has had limited mobility, is diminishing in usefulness. I am losing energy every day. We are still experimenting with the Deanna Protocol. I have yet to receive my breathing aid, at first thought to be a Bi-Pap but now I have been told the machine will be more sophisticated, providing additional options in case of breathing issues whether asleep or awake. Let it be clear that this is not a trachea device. I will never allow a mechanical device to take over what my body should do on its own. 

Tomorrow my mom and my sister are visiting and I'm looking forward to seeing them again. I hope they have a lot to say because my hearing functions much better than my speaking.  

A few weeks ago my brother, Mick, visited for a couple of days and I can't say how much it meant to me that he should take the time and the money to come by. The truth is, we can go for months or more without communicating and then get together as if no time has passed. I'm very proud of him and his accomplishments despite all the early in life obstacles he has endured. If he moves to Dallas in my lifetime, he and his family will make my day, week, month, year.

I know I need to work on my eyegaze, but the limits of technology make for a tedious transition. I thank Rachel for coming by today to extend my present form of communication.  I promise not to lapse as long between posts from here on out. Ta ta for now!

PS: Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. It's sooo good to hear from you even if Rachel is on point....Love you Rachel! Dan and I had a quiet dinner at home last night and then went to a movie. We saw "Django". Not to shabby. New Year's Day has been quite the opposite of fun. I've been closing out Dan's books for the year. Yippee!! I hope you guys are enjoying the warm weather down yonder, because it's freezing up here. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to ALL of your clan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great Christmas. Hope you have a great New Year as well. Tell everyone Hi from the Danners.

    ReplyDelete